Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Giving Up Facebook for Lent

Cheryl Dickow explains her choice of Lenten penance. Everyone uses Facebook in different ways and degrees. I have cut back on Facebook dramatically this Lent because I found that it was taking up too much of my thoughts and my time which need to be given to other things. Facebook is a new medium in human experience; people are still learning how to interact on it in a measured way. In the past year or so there are several persons of long-standing acquaintance with whom I am no longer in communication because of misunderstandings on Facebook. There have also been some family feuds and disagreements which would never have happened except for Facebook. True, Facebook has introduced me to some wonderful new friends and deepened relationships that already existed. It has been more of a blessing than a curse. However, because of some of the sadness and hard feelings that have come out of Facebook, I am cutting back on it this sacred season in order to reflect.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails