Monday, May 10, 2010

A Contradiction to the World

Why Christianity was, is and will always be counter-cultural. In our time, family life has been attacked by the secular world. We have had to defend the most basic elements of life, such as marriage, birth and motherhood. This does mean that marriage and family life should be considered equal with the embracing of the three evangelical councils in the consecrated, celibate life. As Our Lord says in Matthew 10:34-39:
34 Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword. 35 For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's enemies shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loves  father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; he that  loves son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me. 38 And he that takes not up his cross, and follows me, is not worthy of me. 39 He that finds his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for me, shall find it.

3 comments:

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Much better said than my attempt. Thanks for the link!

Marie-Jacqueline said...

Elena, for use in evangelizing extended family members who have never been presented the Gospel, what would you consider the best book for (1) a mid-life woman, and (2) a young woman in her early teens? Going directly to Holy Scripture would likely be too much for either one. Many thanks.

elena maria vidal said...

Fulton Sheen's Life of Christ is a good introduction I have used. For the younger woman, perhaps Donna Marie Cooper O'Boyle's Rooted in Love or her book on Divine Mercy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails